Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Of Mice and Men

So, I had to post this just story, just because it grosses me out so much. Picture a nice, calm Sunday morning. Zachary and I are just finishing up breakfast, I'm doing the dishes and he is hauling his blankets all over the house, just a normal relaxed morning before church. I turn around and I see a dark streak race from under the fridge to the couch and out of sight. I cannot repeat what exclamations came out of my mouth here, but let's just say that I felt a little bad about it later. We IMMEDIATELY got dressed and headed to Wal-Mart to load up on the necessary accoutrements for disposing of pesky critters. After several traps, peanut butter, cheese, and various crackers, along with a few juice boxes to ease Zachary's nerves... I stuffed the house to the gills with loaded traps and Zachary and I proceeded to spend the entire day outside, away from the offending mouse.

I would skitter into the house occasionally to get some water or a clean diaper or something, checking the traps as I went, but I kept seeing the little bugger running in all different directions. It seemed like he was triangulating and would pounce at any moment. Finally, bedtime drew near the mouse was still alive and kicking, although the nasty thing had munched the peanut butter off one of the traps. I reloaded the trap, washed my son and put him to bed, defeated and really scared to go into my kitchen.

Around 9 o'clock, I was doing my Tae Bo. My theory is that the mouse saw me, and in his shock and despair, commited suicide by throwing his body on the trap. As I heard the loud "snap!" I felt rejuvenated and really kicked up the notch on my Tae Bo. I then proceeded to go find my neighbor and told him in my best helpless-girl voice that I had caught that mouse and wouldn't he come throw it away for me? So, thanks to some trusty traps and my helpful neighbor, I have achieved the next big stage in life: mouse killing. This may become handy in the future. Hooray!


Zachary and I celebrated by busting out the Play-Doh and going to town. He also has a serious problem with smiling for the camera, I swear he's a happy child! Whenever I try to get him to smile for the camera he turns into a judge. I will work on that...

3 comments:

The Hillbergs said...

EWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I hate mice!!!!! You were very good to just go to walmart and get the traps -- I would have called in the National Guard and had them drop Napalm on my house!!!!

Michal said...

Ditto on the eeeewwwww, that's gross!

KeckFamily said...

LOL! You paint such a vivid picture of the events that took place that day! Can't say as I blame you for enlisting the help of your neighbor to remove the carcass from your home. Yuck!